Where is time.strptime()?

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic at arsdigita.com
Tue Nov 7 06:27:27 EST 2000

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> writes:

> + Does [this implementation of strptime] compile and run correctly
>   on all Python platforms?

Why is this necessary?  I thought it would be used only on platforms
that don't have a native strptime().

> + Is this particular version of strptime "the correct" one (strptime
> isn't available everywhere *now* because it's not part of ANSI C, so
> some platforms don't supply it -- while those that do apparently
> don't always agree on its input->output behavior)?

I don't think any one of them is "correct", as even the standards
conflict on what should be done.  But still, even an average one will
beat having none.

> + Clause 3 renders this license incompatible with the GPL (the
> Regents of the U of CA have no authority to revoke such clauses in
> licenses other than their own).

I think the advertising clause has been removed from all BSD software
some time ago.  The copyright notice might be out of date.

> + Is there a patch on SourceForge that addresses all of the above?
>
> There are a lot of hoops to jump thru before code can be added to
> the std Python distribution.  A raw piece of code is usually the
> least of it, but is about the only part programmers volunteer
> without severe arm-twisting <0.6 wink>.

I refuse to talk about SourceForge in polite company.