Newbie wxPython question

Robin Dunn robin at alldunn.com
Tue Nov 14 16:02:37 EST 2000

In article <8us791$kdj$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
  drobinow at my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <_PcQ5.64132$Z2.865717 at nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
>   "Todd Lichty" <twlichty at execulink.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to install wxPython on my Redhat 7.0 system. I installed
> the
> > wxGTK-2.2.0-0.i386.rpm and then tried to install the
> > wxPython-2.2.2-1-Py15.i386.rpm but I recieved the following error:
> >
> > libwx_gtk_gl-2.2.so.0 is needed by wxPython-2.2.2-1
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>  From the Prerequisites section of the wxPython download area:
>
> In order to use the wxGLCanvas you'll need to have either OpenGL or
the
> Mesa3D library on your system. Please note that the binary RPMs below
> have a dependency on the GL and GLU libraries so you'll need to have
> them on your system or the wxPython extension won't load. You can get
> the RPM for Mesa that I am using on my system from here. wxPython's
> wxGLCanvas only provides the GL Context and a wxWindow to put it in,
so
> you will also need the PyOpenGL Python extension module as well.

Close.  The error is actually refering to a separate wxGTK RPM that
contains the GL related classes.  You'll want to get the
wxGTK-gl* pacakge from wherever you got the wxGTK package.  Also, the
original poster mentioned using wxGTK 2.2.0 and wxPython 2.2.2.
Although an effort was made with the 2.2 series to remain binary
compatible, it still may not work.  It's safest to use matching version
numbers.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman