Excel file format

Andy Smith ams70 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 5 12:54:45 EST 2000

vonWedel at lfpt.rwth-aachen.de writes:

> I want to transform data into Excel files using Python, not just
> data but also workbooks, etc.. Is there any module facilitating
> this?
>
> On a Windows-machine I would simply use Excel's COM
> interface to do this, but I'm on unix.
>
> Is the Excel file format documented somewhere?

You could take a look at Gnumeric -
http://www.helixcode.com/apps/gnumeric.php3 - it's a spreadsheet that
can load and save in Excel format.  It uses Python as one of its
extension/scripting languages so you may be able to do what you want
directly.  If not and your program will be GPLed you could adapt the
Excel import/export code from Gnumeric.

    Andy
Andy Smith                                             ams70 at cam.ac.uk
St John's College, Cambridge, CB2 1TP, UK               (07989) 453208