Red/Green Bars

Butch Landingin butchland at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 03:40:36 EST 2000

--- In python-list at egroups.com, Alex <not_such_a_brain_after_all at m...>
wrote:

> That doesn't really make sense in context, but thanks for the
> informative answer, Peter. :)

Nice try, Peter, but it ain't even close :^)

The red/green bar the original poster was referring is an XP
unit testing program know as SUnit or Junit -- there are variations
of it in Smalltalk (original SUnit), Java (JUnit) and even
Python(PyUnit) and in many other languages.

This is the first time I've seen it referred to as a green/red bar
but I'd guess that its called that way because the GUI version
(there's a commandline version as well) displays a progress bar
that ends up green or red depending  whether all your
unit tests pass (green) or if 1 or more tests fail
(the bar turns red).

Its an XP/Refactoring work-style to leave the unit testing
program running and run your unit tests frequently as you make
small changes to your program  -- thus reducing the risk that any
change you make will screw up any other part of the system -- and
making you more confident to make really big changes that will
keep your code real clean, tight and totally cruft-free.

Hope that clears that up (and hopefully no more wild references to
canadian moose and beer will appear around here ;^))...

HTH.

Butch Landingin
butchland at nospam.yahoo.com
http://squishdot.org