Pure or hybrid?

pehr anderson pehr at pehr.net
Thu Nov 16 23:18:01 EST 2000

Dear Daniel,

One of Python's greatest assets is that it is largly agnostic.
It is easy to glue python to libraries written in C, C++, or
other languages that produce a dynamically shared object file.
On windows these are called ".DLL" and under unix ".so"

Because python plays well with others, people who use it tend to
gravitate towards creating bindings for the "best-in-class" solutions,
rather than trying to reinvent the weel again and again.

The best example of this is the Tk GUI toolkit.
This graphics library was well written and did a fine job.
Rather than be zealots and require python have its own python-based GUI,
people embraced an effective solution and adapted it to serve the
python community.

So a lot of python is written in python. I learned most of what I know
from browsing the on-line documentation and reading the files in
/usr/lib/python1.5
When I'm using a module based on an shared object file, I have to read
the
documentation more carefully since I can't fall back on the source.
A lot what makes python useful is written in other languages as well,
but I'm ususally greatful to have bindings to the robust library code of
an industry-standard solution rather than a rickety clone of an existing
solution.

	-pehr