Wits end

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 12 12:05:01 EST 2000

"Steve Williams" <sandj.williams at gte.net> wrote in message
news:3A0EC545.D6A46C03 at gte.net...
    [snip]
> > > What's happened is that the console has appeared, printed hello world,
> > > and disappeared. This is a windows issue. If you want to be able to
see
> > > the output, you'll either have to run from a cmd prompt, or write a
real
> > > windows program.
> >
> > Or just place a rawinput at the end (with some prompt such as
> > "press Enter to terminate") so the consolewindow will wait before
> > disappearing.
> >
> > Alex
>
> Danger Will Robinson!
>
> If your program has a syntax error, the rawinput hack won't help with the
> flashing console problem.

Good point!  I hadn't kept that in mind.

> Check out your program in PythonWin or IDLE first
> before diving headfirst into the Windows swamp.

One possibility, but not the only one.  The already-suggested
use of the command prompt, for example, is an alternative
(there may be good reasons to use it - running from a command
prompt, or generally in a console, allows certain things, such
as use of the console input functions, which don't work in
IDLE or Pythonwin, for example).

Alex