Problems building C extension for Python 2.0

John Carter jnc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Nov 1 11:30:57 EST 2000

I get an error when I try to link my python extensions with python 2.0
as follows

cl.exe -LD -o vc.dll vclib.lib c:\progra~1\python20\libs\python20.lib
vc.def -nologo
LINK : warning LNK4001: no object files specified; libraries used
LINK : warning LNK4068: /MACHINE not specified; defaulting to IX86
c:\progra~1\python20\libs\python20.lib : warning LNK4064: conflicting
subsystem;
 image may not run
LINK : warning LNK4001: no object files specified; libraries used
   Creating library vc.lib and object vc.exp
c:\progra~1\python20\libs\python20.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid
file or disk full: cannot seek to 0x39ed3e8c
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program
Files\DevStudio\VC\BIN\cl.exe"' : return
 code '0x2'
Stop.

I can asure the reader that no  disks are full, and that I get exactly
the same error when I build the Numeric and Image extensions.

The distutil scripts and make file I use all work with 1.5.2, as do
the resulting DLL's

I'm using VC++ 5, is this the problem?

I downloaded and re-installed Python today

John Carter

jnc at ecs.soton.ac.uk