Gordon's Install

C. Porter Bassett porter at et.byu.edu
Wed Nov 15 12:07:45 EST 2000

I am trying to use Gordon's Installer
(http://starship.python.net/crew/gmcm/) for the first time.  For now, I am
just trying to create a working executable of a "hi, world" program.  I
run the command python ../Simple.py hi.py.  Everything seems to work, and
I get no error messages, but the executable hi.exe doesn't seem to do
anything.  The executable Install_hi.exe gives me the error:

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'zlib.pyd'

I am running on Win98SE with a fresh install of Python 1.52.  I am running
the commands from the cygwin bash shell.  I included my windows and
windows/system directories to the path, and it got rid of the problems of
it not finding the .dlls.

I will include at the end of this email the output of the
python ../Simple.py hi.py command, as well as the hi.cfg file that is
created.

Is installer the best tool for what I am trying to do?  I just want to be
able to distribute around the office some simple tools I have
written.  None of them use tkInter, but they do use a curses .dll that I
found somewhere.  This is my first try at anything like freeze or install.

C. Porter Bassett     porter at et.byu.edu   http://www.et.byu.edu/~porter
"Pretend like this is a really witty saying." - Anonymous

Output from python ../Simple.py hi.py:

PDESK:port$
PDESK:port$
PDESK:port$ python ../Simple.py hi.py
> "C:\PYTHON15\PYTHON.EXE" c:\Python15\installer\Builder.py hi.cfg
Cannot determine your Windows or System directories
Please add them to your PATH if .dlls are not found
The win32api module is not available - modules listed
in the registry will not be found.
opts: []
args: ['hi.cfg']
Initializing MYSTANDALONE
Analyzing python dependencies of carchive_rt c:\Python15\installer\support\carch
ive_rt.py
analyzing zlib
 found python15.dll
 found MSVCRT.dll
 found KERNEL32.dll
analyzing python15.dll
 found KERNEL32.dll
 found USER32.dll
 found ADVAPI32.dll
 found WSOCK32.dll
 found WINMM.dll
 found MSVCRT.dll
Initializing INSTALLZLIB
 added filter <ModFilter {'dospath': 1}>
 added filter <ModFilter {'posixpath': 1}>
 added filter <ModFilter {'macpath': 1}>
Analyzing python dependencies of archive_rt c:\Python15\installer\support\archiv
e_rt.py
 added filter <ModFilter {'archive_rt': 1}>
 added filter <ModFilter {'imputil': 1}>
Initializing MYINSTALL
Warning: 'PyWinTypes15.dll' not found - no filter created
Warning: 'win32api' not found - no filter created
Initializing APPZLIB
 added filter <ModFilter {'dospath': 1}>
 added filter <ModFilter {'posixpath': 1}>
 added filter <ModFilter {'macpath': 1}>
 added filter <ModFilter {'archive_rt': 1}>
 added filter <ModFilter {'imputil': 1}>
Gathering components of installzlib.pyz
Analyzing python dependencies of installutils c:\Python15\installer\support\inst
allutils.py
 added filter <ExtFilter {'.pyo': 1, '.pyc': 1, '.py': 1}>
Creating installzlib.pyz
Gathering components of hi.pyz
Analyzing python dependencies of hi hi.py
 added filter <ExtFilter {'.pyo': 1, '.pyc': 1, '.py': 1}>
Creating hi.pyz
Gathering components of hi.exe
Analyzing python dependencies of hi hi.py
 added filter <TypeFilter {'d': 1}>
Creating hi.exe
  c:\Python15\installer\support\Run.exe -> hi.exe
  C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~-520935-3 -> hi.exe
Gathering components of Install_hi.exe
Analyzing python dependencies of gen_install gen_install.py
 added filter <TypeFilter {'d': 1}>
Creating Install_hi.exe
  c:\Python15\installer\support\Run.exe -> Install_hi.exe
  C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\~-520935-4 -> Install_hi.exe
PDESK:port$

hi.cfg:

[MYINSTALL]
type= INSTALL