CPython vs. Jython/JPython

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at harper.uchicago.edu
Sun Nov 5 22:04:23 EST 2000

Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote:

>>> There is no way that a Java program can be faster than the equivalent C
>>> program, on the same computer, if the best practices and idioms of each
>>> language are followed.
>>
>>Why?
>
>I think this poster was referring to the fact that most JVMs are
>written in C, necessarily creating a bit of a chicken and the egg
>problem. Which isn't to rule out all sorts of other possibilities,
>of course. :)

    The original poster seems to miss the possibility that JVMs can
make optimizations based on the runtime behaviour of programs.  It may
be possible to get Java apps faster than an equivalent C app by
adding dynamic optimizations to the JVM.  I believe HP's experiments
with dynamo, their dynamic optimization program, yielded something like
up to 20% faster execution times.  I'm not sure about this but I believe
that using dynamo is pretty common on the pa risc systems since it
gives good performance increases even though it was intended to be a way
of running binaries from an earlier architecture on new pa risc machines.

Suchandra Thapa             | "There are only two kinds of math books.
s-thapaNO at SPAMuchicago.edu  | Those you cannot read beyond the first