Q: pyhton based lex, yacc tools

Jan Dries jdries at mail.com
Wed Nov 8 15:54:51 EST 2000

Vassilis Virvilis wrote:

> Halo everybody,
>
> Since I am rather new to the python world I would like to ask:
>
> Is there available any python tool which corresponds to a lex scanner
> and/or a yacc parser? If not why?

You may take a look at Spark. It can be found in the vaults of Parnassus
(http://www.vex.net/parnassus/) under Programming tasks /
Parsing-Formatting.

There are some other similar packages there. The one you prefer will
depend on what you want. The nice thing about Spark, for me, is that
it's small, very simple to use, written entirely in Python, and
integrates nicely with standard Python syntax (i.e. there are no .y or
.l-files, just .py-files, with the regex'es and grammar productions
embedded in Python Doc strings).

Regards,

Jan