Howto: Post data to HTTPS server

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Nov 9 16:44:27 EST 2000

"Jose Correia" <joseKILL at THECAPSshangosoft.com> writes:

> However when calling this module, I get "unknown url type: https".  Checking
> urllib.py source confirms there is no code to handle https:
>
> Level of experience: Been working with Python 1.5.2 for 2 months on W98se
> platform; first attempt at web programming.  LOVE this language...

I guess you are out of luck, now. https requires the Secure Socket
Layer (SSL), which is only supported with Python 2.0. Even then, the
socket module integrates with OpenSSL, wich does not readily port to
W9x.

So unless somebody knows of an alternative approach for accessing
https servers with Python 1.5.2, I'd recommend you try unsecure
connections only for the moment...

Regards,
Martin