win32gui.FindWindow problems

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Sun Nov 12 23:58:24 EST 2000

Tim Roberts wrote:

> Dale correctly pointed out the problem; he needs to pass a NULL, not a
> zero-length string.  I don't know how to do this, either.

And I pointed out that None does indeed pass a NULL.

A quick test showed me that it was the Win32 FindWindow function that
failed on dereferencing NULL, so I was too quick to point the finger.  I
didn't look closely enough - this is a bug in win32gui.  The annoying
thing is that Pythonwin uses the exact code the KB article pointed at,
so I should have known better.

Mark.