bad python modules

sp00fD sp00fD at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 16:12:47 EST 2000

In article <yayd7fzy5mw.fsf at ganglot.ifi.uio.no>,
  Vetle Roeim <vr at acm.org> wrote:
> * sp00fD at yahoo.com
> the general philosophy used in Python modules seems to be that a
> module should try to do one single thing.

let me complete that sentence for you:
...without actually doing that thing well

I knew you would say that about CGI and Cookies (being seperate), but I
disagree.  Yes, they may be different, but that doesn't mean that
they're not used together.  But again, I'm not really even disputing
this, what my point really is, is that they generally don't (as I
completed your senetence to point out) even do that one thing very
well.  For instance the Cookie module left me to hack it all together
to actually get the value data from the cookie, rather than returning
it as some nice dictionary.  I'm just using one example here, but there
are many, as I pointed out before, the lack of the subject line working
in smtp.py.

Like perl, Java seems to know what I'm saying as the modules are very
robust there as well.  Ruby's modules are more robust as well.  These
language modules just feel sturdy and complete, they have "presence"
whereas python leaves me looking for the next link in some contorted
chain.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.