Arguments to exec* functions.

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 13 14:22:17 EST 2000

cerutti at together.net (Neil Cerutti) writes:

> Am I required to pass the name and path of the executable as the
> first item in the tuple or list of arguments to an exec*()
> function? I know some programs depend on the name of the
> executable for functional changes, e.g., gzip.

On my system:

$ ls --inode /bin/*zip
  30165 /bin/gunzip    30165 /bin/gzip

i.e. "gzip" and "gunzup" actually are the same file, so the executable
needs some way to tell which is was invoked as - hence argv[0].

Cheers,
M.

--
  Not only does the English Language borrow words from other
  languages, it sometimes chases them down dark alleys, hits