ANN.: Beta 1.0 of Weak Reference Extension Module is now available

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Thu Nov 16 11:39:37 EST 2000

shindich at my-deja.com wrote:

> Tired of cercular references?
> Use weak references! http://PyWeakReference.sourceforge.net/
>
> There are no real changes from the previous release, except for better
> docs.

Could you explain the details behind you weak reference
implementation ?

I'm just asking, because there are quite a few different ways to
do this (mxProxy which is available from my Python Pages has
a weak reference implementation too) and there is a PEP 205 which
aims at adding one sort of these to the Python core.

The mxProxy implementation uses (as the name implies), proxies
around objects to implement weak references. Other implementations
have focussed on dictionaries only and make their keys and/or
values use weak references.

A discussion of these different methods needs to go into the
PEP, so we might as well have it now ;-)

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg