Internet C++ and Python?

Cees de Groot cg at gaia.intranet.cdegroot.com
Mon Nov 20 16:43:35 EST 2000

Courageous  <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> said:
>Maybe, but keep in mind that the very dynamicity of python is also
>its downfall when it comes to performance. Python won't, as it stands,
>compile to bytecode with performance anything resembling Internet
>C++.

I don't have a reference to the paper handy, so count this as hearsay,
but I'm quite sure at least one recent study showed that dynamic languages
can perform faster using virtual machines than statically typed languages,
which would give Python/Smalltak/... the edge in the very near future
over C++/Java/...

(the reason? If I look at all the insns in Java byte code that have to
do with types, I think I can guess why - lots of extra info that's not really
useful, and the virtual method lookup has to be done anyway)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>