Python in RedHat 7

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at harper.uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 1 03:38:52 EST 2000

Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at effbot.org> wrote:
>    compatible with any official GCC release.  Actually, C and
>    Fortran code will probably be compatible, but code in other
>    languages, most notably C++ due to incompatibilities in
>    symbol encoding ("mangling"), the standard library and
>    the application binary interface (ABI), is likely to fail in
>    some way"

    But c++ code produced by gcc 2.91 and gcc 2.95 are also
binary incompatible due to changes in the ABI between those two
version.  gcc 3.0 will also be incompatible with both of them,
but redhat's gcc 2.96 is source compatible with gcc 3.0. C++  source
code that compiles on 2.91 may not compile on 3.0 (and 2.96) since
3.0 (and 2.96) have much better compliance to the c++. E.g. I believe
KDE 1.x suffers from this problem.

Suchandra Thapa             | "There are only two kinds of math books.
s-thapaNO at SPAMuchicago.edu  | Those you cannot read beyond the first