win32com problem

Jose Correia jose at KILL-THIS.shangosoft.com
Thu Nov 16 13:56:05 EST 2000

"Hans Kristian Ruud" <hans.kristian.ruud at inenco.no> wrote in message
news:3A13CE0E.7E5988CE at inenco.no...
> com_error: (-2147023174, 'The RPC server is unavailable.', None, None)

I can cause the exact same error message when I kill an object externally to
the Python program.

e.g.  I create an IE object, assign it to a var in Python and make it
visible.  Then I close the IE window manually.  As soon as I refer to the
object again from Python it gives that message.

This suggests that for some reason the object you're trying to create isn't
being created are can't be accessed.  Having only started working with
pythonCom and COM in general yesterday, I can't tell you much more at this
stage, and the above could be way off base.  Hopefully it gives you an idea
where to look.

Another thing, have you tried to make it early-bound by running the COM
Makepy utility on the "MikonChips.MiDataSource" application?  See if it
gives you the same error.  For that matter, try creating another object
(e.g. Excel or IE) and see if that works.

HTH and good luck.

Jose