Python Project Idea

Dale Strickland-Clark dale at out-think.NOSPAMco.uk
Mon Nov 6 08:51:06 EST 2000

root at 127.0.0.1 (David) wrote:

>Some of you may be familiar with shell replacements for Windows -- things
>like LiteStep and GeoShell.  They're great, but they suffer a common
>problem: no scripting language.
>
>I've been mulling over the idea of a Python-based shell.  It'd be slower,
>yes, and it'd consume more memory -- but on my system, I think I'd give up
>those for the sake of being able to create a few toolbar items that would
>check and filter EMail for me, run a few apps at specific times, etcetera.
>
>I haven't the technical skill to create the shell myself.  If I were to
>create it, I'd use the wxWindows GUI, 'cause it would open up the
>possibility of porting to Linux and Mac.  But I suspect the Windows port
>requires the use of the Win32 components, so perhaps this would be a
>single-platform application. :-(
>
>Anyway, just thought I'd through the idea out there.  I'll be most pleased
>with the opportunity to write a little email checking module, if and when
>it happens. :)

If you use WIndows NT or 2000, I think you'll find that most of what
you want is already there.

The command prompt window is highly customisable (much more so than
Win9x) and I can make it do most of what I want with doskey macros,
scripts (written in JScript, Python and VBScript). I also make use of
Explorer toolbars which automatically change their buttons depending
on which client I'm working on and pop-up command prompt windows.

The problem with trying to replace the command prompt with something
written in Python is reproducing all the built-in commands that you're
going to need.

Another problem - thinking out loud here - is overcoming the problem
PythonWin has of tidying up it's environment at the end of running a
task. How easy would that be to overcome?

All the above said, some things attract me to this idea.

1. The possibilities offered by an object oriented command prompt.
There's some interesting stuff here.
2. The possibility of replacing the standard pipe syntax with
something that allows programs to work together for the duration of a
command.

OK. I'm in.
--
Dale Strickland-Clark