Is Python any good with MySQL?

Keith MacDonald keith at nojunk.textpad.com
Mon Nov 6 12:00:39 EST 2000

Alex,

Thanks for the information, but here's what I got when I tried to build
MySQLdb on Windows 2000, with Visual C++ 6:

LINK : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol init_mysqlmodule

None of the files in MySQLdb-0.3.0b2.tar.gz define or reference that symbol,
so I don't know what to do about it.  I have found a pre-built version for
Windows, in MySQLdb-0.2.1-windows.zip, but that's for a different release.

When I tried mxODBC through the MySQL interface, none of its attributes,
such as connect, were found.  When I tried its Windows interface, I was
informed that MySQL does not support transactions, and then the process
aborted.

What I need is a solution, but I keep coming up against problems that I
simply don't have time to solve.

I can't argue about the MySQL interface in Perl being in a separate module,
but the difference is that ActiveState have "adopted" one, so all I had to
do was install ActiveState Perl, try out a couple of samples, and I was on
my way.  The amount of time that I have already wasted just trying to get
started with Python is more than it would have taken to write the complete
application in Perl, much though I dislike using it.  Actually, now that
I've put it like that, I think I'll do it in C++, or I'll never get the job
finished!

- Keith

news:8u6bmi02cuv at news2.newsguy.com...

http://www.biostat.washington.edu/biostat/computing/DebDocs/python-mysqldb/M