Python COM Server

Chui Tey teyc at bigfoot.com
Wed Nov 8 18:19:19 EST 2000

"Steve Williams" <sandj.williams at gte.net> wrote in message
news:3A078908.3062D14D at gte.net...
> Alex Martelli wrote:
>
> > "Chui Tey" <teyc at bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > news:8u5haq$nub$1 at bunyip.cc.uq.edu.au...
> > > I seem to prototype more and more on python and then translate them to
VB
> > > because I need a nice UI.
>
> [snip]
>
> VB is harder than it looks.
>
> I)    To deploy VB applications properly, your code needs to run the
following
> tests at startup:
>
>     1)    Are the necessary DLLs present?  Things might have change since
you
> installed.
>
>     2)    Are the DLLs at the right release levels?  Again, things change.
>
>     3)    Are the DLLs created by a reliable source?  Anybody can write a
DLL.

> If any of these tests fails, you should notify the operator and terminate
the
> application.
>
> II)    When you install on a working PC, it's a real thrill to get a
message
> like
>
>     "Do you wish to replace MSxyzzy version 1.0.0.0 with version
23.6.7.15.
>     Some programs may not work if you do."
>
> I suppose Python has these same problems, but still. . .

VB puts food on the table for me, while Python makes eating worthwhile <G>.
Deploying DLLs as COM servers in theory attacks issues (1),(2), and since we
are scripting our own DLLs issue (3) is not a real problem.

GMcM's notes indicate that deploying COM servers aren't straightforward. So
I'm basically looking for a cookbook approach before rediscovering the wheel
for myself.

Chui