Python Books

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 16:47:16 EST 2000

"Simon Foster" <simon at uggs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3a127b3a.426354016 at news.demon.co.uk...

> Anybody who would like to make any recommendation?
>
> I have "Learning Python" and "Programming Python on Win32"

Good ideas!

> and was thinking of buying "Programming Python" by Mr. Lutz.
>
> Would this be a worthwhile purchase?  Is it worth waiting for
> the 2nd edition? (February?).

I, personally, didn't get much out of Mr Lutz's book's first
edition.  Actually, it turned me off Python for a year despite
a co-worker's earnest attempts.

> Any other must-haves for bathtime browsing?

<F>'s "eff-bot guide to the standard Python library" (title is
only approximate!) is good -- available as an eMatter title
from fatbrain (warning: being behind firewalls, i was never
able to use eMatter effectively... and fatbrain's alleged
"technical support" makes Microsoft's appear good by
comparison... fortunately I got to read the book anyway,
it IS good...!)

"Python Essential Reference" as been suggested, and I'll
second that --- IF you have no sight problems; I find its
print too small (but then, MY sight is not the best).

I liked Harms' and McDonald's "Quick Python Book" a
lot.  http://www.manning.com/Harms/.

Alex