CPython vs. Jython/JPython

jay.krell at cornell.edu jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 1 10:35:20 EST 2000

But where Java is available, maybe it provides more value than Python? I
realize this is debatable, but I tend to believe it.

Really. stdio.h is more portable than Java and Python. The code int F()
{return 0;} is even more portable, or better yet #if defined(__STDC__) ||
__cplusplus int F() { return 0; } #else F() { return 0; }. Portability
trades off with features.

And Windows is portable to a huge variety of x86 hardware. People don't
appreciate Windows's portability..

I guess VAX/VMS and Amiga are the main platforms that host Python but not
Java?
And the first is because Java pretty much requires IEEE 754 hardware?

 ..Jay