What is Python?

Nick Bensema nickb at fnord.io.com
Sun Nov 19 01:45:54 EST 2000

In article <slrn8sl6kn.p6.tim at degree.ath.cx>,
Tim Hammerquist <tim at degree.ath.cx> wrote:
>Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote:
>> To be fair, though, one of the few things I miss about Perl is its easy
>> use of REs: that's obviously one of its great strengths.  However,
>> Python's approach of providing that same functionality as a module, not
>> as a fundamental language feature, is definitely more "Pythonic": the
>> result is significantly more verbose, but that's exactly the point:
>> there's quite a lot of "implicit is worse than explicit" (to coarsely
>> paraphrase) baggage that comes along with Perl's approach.
>
>This is probably one of the side-effects of Larry's styling Perl after
>natural language.  I should say that I'm not only a computer language
>fan, but also a foreign language major with several Romance languages as
>a hobby.  Might that be why my mind appears *twisted* in liking Perl's
>approach?

You're not twisted.  If you program useful things in False, that's
twisted.

I looked at Perl and thought, "man, this is confuzling.  This is like
no programming language I know.  And like all of them.  It's nuts."
Then I heard about how Mr. Wall modeled it on human language, and
suddenly it all made perfect sense.  Perl is the computer equivalent
of English, in a historical sense.

In contrast, Python looks to me like Esperanto.  It's meant to give
everyone equal footing, and be easy to learn and dive right into,
while at the same time it can be wordy and cumbersome.

But I'm still waiting for a computer language that uses prepositions
instead of commas.  Besides, of course, c-b-l.

--
Nick Bensema <nickb at io.com>      ICQ#2135445