Polite complaints can get results

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Nov 22 00:37:23 EST 2000

A few days ago, our newsgroup was polluted with a spam ad entitled
!! Free Fetish Pics !! High Quality !! 100% Free!!
I hit reply, changed the addressee to abuse at hotmail.com (no copy to the
bozo)
and added a couple of polite lines at the top saying that this was a nice,
professional, on-topic newsgroup and that I would appreciate their
assistance.
in keeping it that way.

Today I got this response:
   I appreciate your bringing this matter to our attention. I have closed
the account you reported
   in  accordance with the Hotmail Terms of Service (TOS). It is a strict
violation of the TOS
   for our members to send objectionable material of any kind or nature
using our service.
  Sincerely, Leah C.
  MSN Hotmail Customer Support