XBase for Python?

Anders M Eriksson anders.eriksson at morateknikutveckling.se
Mon Nov 6 04:05:52 EST 2000

On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 06:29:50 GMT, andy47 at my-deja.com wrote:

>> Jim Sabatke wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a package that will read/write XBase, or similar, files?
>
>Jumping on the bandwagon, can I expand the question to something more
>general. I have a requirement to build a system which would
>most 'easily' be developed in MS tools (Access, VB, etc.) as
>integration with MS Word and Outlook are high on the feature list.
>
>I'd rather not go that way and am looking at using Python + window
>toolkit for the front end and would like any help or pointers for which
>database I could use (must be Windows I'm afraid) as the back end.
>Also, any pointers on interfacing with MS Word/Outlook/Excel would be
>most appreciated.

The integration with Word/Outlook/Excel is 'easiest' done using COM
and if you need to use Access then you have ODBC.

For the database you could use Metakit or Access via ODBC.

To use COM and ODBC you need to install the Python Windows Extension
by Mr. Marc Hammond (it included in the ActivePython distribution)
http://www.python.org/windows/

For the ODBC I would recommend that you 'upgrade' to mxODBC by Mr.
Marc-André Lemburg.
http://starship.python.net/crew/lemburg/

// Anders