python compiler??

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Nov 4 21:04:11 EST 2000

> Is there a python compiler somewhere??

Yes: the standard Python 'interpreter' compiles Python source code to
Python Virtual Machine PyCode before interpreting/executing it.

Yes: JPython/Jython compiles Python source code to Java Virtual Machine
JCode (name?) for execution by that 'machine'.

No: there have been efforts to translate Python to C for compilation to
native machine code but they have not yet been successful, that I know of,
for reasons discussed in many previous postings.

There are other answers, but I suspect that the above is the one you were
looking for.

Terry J. Reedy