P*rl in Latin, whither Python?

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Mon Nov 13 18:52:54 EST 2000

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:44:50 +0100, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
>The parallels with programming in Python are striking, aren't
>they?  With normal human herd-instinct, we're all here trying to
>gain new users (and there are positive network effects as we
>do -- books, more tools, ...) -- but, being the only firm to
>use Python in a given niche while your competitors struggle
>on with lesser languages is *BIG*... "eat their lunch" time!-)

    Heh.  Now if only you could convince the powers that be in my company of
that.  I'm script boy and after a few weeks of Python coding I'd much prefer
to do my work in Python than in Perl.  Problem is that they have rightfully
pointed out one thing.  While all my coworkers agree that Python would be a
good thing they are all working in C and when it comes time for me to move on
and they need to replace me finding skilled Perl programmers is far easier
than finding skilled Python programmers.

    Of course my Python experience being so limited I imagine I could spend
the next 2 years on the same projects.  6 months learning Python, 6 months to
rework everything once I've learned it.  Another 6-12 months to rerework it
the way I /really/ want it.  :)