A Mountain of Perl Books + Python Advocacy

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sat May 13 21:24:28 EDT 2000

tsummerfelt1 at myspleenhome.com (tony summerfelt) writes:

> > oh, you only want answers from people who can read perl
>
> huh?
>
> ok. i don't need to be kicked in the head to get the point.

If you post perl on a python newsgroup (perl which doesn't even run, I
might add) by way of asking a question, you only want answers from
people who can read perl.  I think that's pretty straightforward, and
nobody's trying to kick you in the head.  You're free to miss the
point.

> i imagine i'll check out python again sometime in the future.
>
> maybe i'll even pop in here again when i do.

You will be doing yourself a great disservice to drop python, or even
this newsgroup, because of some silly political reason, even *if* the
effbot was overly short with you.  There's a lot to be learned both
from the language and the community.  It is *fun* to program in
python.

> here's one for everyone:
>
> major-disappointment-at-the-python-crowd-ly y'rs

You made a mistake, you were snapped at for doing so.  It should have
ended there.  Lots of other useful stuff came up on the thread you
started, and some of it probably even answered your questions.
Personally, I've found this to be one of the most supportive and
enlightening forums I've had the pleasure to participate in.  I don't
find the jibe at it funny, and I doubt it will endear you to anybody.

Maybe my standards just aren't high enough, since I started out USENET
with the insane antics of comp.lang.perl.misc ... but still, I enjoy
being here.

still-very-happy-with-the-python-crowd-ly y'rs,

                 |   @ t w i s t e d m a t r i x  . c o m   |
                 |   http://www.twistedmatrix.com/~glyph/   |