NumTut installation problems

Blair Hall b.hall at irl.cri.nz
Tue May 23 23:53:15 EDT 2000

I have been attempting to install the 'NumTut' package on my Windows95
laptop.
I have (I think) the correct installation of Python 1.5.2 and the
Numeric extensions.

I have also seen a series of messages on SourceForge concerning a very
similar problem,
however, I am still stuck. The follwing is a copy of my PythonWin
interactive window:

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "", line 1, in ?
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\NumTut\__init__.py", line 14, in ?
>     greece = pickle.load(open(os.path.join(_dir, 'greece.pik'), 'rb',1)) / 256.0
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\pickle.py", line 826, in load
>     return Unpickler(file).load()
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\pickle.py", line 495, in load
>     dispatch[key](self)
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\pickle.py", line 659, in load_global
>     klass = self.find_class(module, name)
>   File "C:\Program Files\Python\Lib\pickle.py", line 669, in find_class
>     raise SystemError, \
> SystemError: Failed to import class array_constructor
>  from module Numeric

Can anyone shed some light on what this actually means?!
(This is my first tentative look at Python - not a good start!)

I might add that testview.py and view.py (which come with the NumTut
package) seem to work just  fine.

Many thanks

Blair Hall