python improvements (Was: Re: New Language)

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sat May 13 17:27:29 EDT 2000

Steven D. Arnold wrote:

> 1. I'd like an equivalent to perl's "use strict" pragma.  It's annoying to
> have to be so paranoid about making a typo in a variable name.  I'd like
> the compiler to be able to catch those errors for me.

When I learned about Python's "must read before write" system (or
whatever it's called), I thought it was actually a brilliant
compromise.  In Perl, you can read undeclared variables (if no strict),
or you can turn on strict, then have to declare them.  Python's approach
seems to be the best of both: you get the power and convenience of
dynamic typing, but get an automatic error-checking mechanism that
(eventually) finds these errors.

(still,-let's-not-kid-ourselves:-some-of-what-we-do-in-python
   -boils-down-to-declaring-types-<wink>)-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com