Python3k extended grammar

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Thu May 18 17:21:27 EDT 2000

Manus Hand wrote:

> It was with a large degree of alarm that I read that "the language
> (Py3K) will be somewhat incompatible."  There didn't seem to be
> anyplace at python.org that explains this any further.  Maybe it has
> been rehashed before, but could the scope of Py3K be spelled out
> for those of us who fear it?

There is no predefined scope. Your only hope is faith in Guido.
Seriously.

> Things like talk about having to declare variables and their
> types and having to specify function return types scare
> me.

Nobody has, as far as I know, ever spoken about having to declare
variable types in Python. Many, many people have asked to be *allowed*
to declare variables in Python. There is a big difference.

Just how compassionate can a Republican get before he has to leave the
GOP and join Vegans for Global Justice? ... One moment, George W. Bush
is holding a get-to-know-you meeting with a bunch of gay Republicans.
The next he is holding forth on education or the environment ... It is
enough to make a red-blooded conservative choke on his spotted-owl
drumstick.     - April 29th, Economist