Copyright and License

Dennis E. Hamilton infonuovo at email.com
Sat May 6 12:32:16 EDT 2000

Just in case there is any confusion left here:

1.  The licensing of source code has nothing to do with the license that
applies to the Python processor(s) and its/their source code.  In
particular, the Python processor licenses place no conditions on
programs that can be processed.

2.  You do have some considerations to take into account for how you
want to license your copyright on source code to others.  One way is to
take any of the common licenses that satisfies you and make a version
that is from you rather than the original source.  You can do that with
the approach you propose.

3.  You can also use any other open-source license that is consistent
with what you want to license others to do, and any conditions you want
to make on their doing it.  I recommend that you review the Open Source
Definition (OSD) and the variety of licenses that already exist that
satisfy the OSD.  The basic information is at

	http://www.opensource.org

Generally, if you use something equivalent to the MIT or BSD license,
people will be able to safely combine your programs with your modules,
make commercial and non-commercial, open- and closed-source derivatives,
etc.  The python license is in this class, as I recall.  If you have a
concern for what combinations and derivatives are to be allowed, other
licenses are appropriate.  The GNU GPL is the strongest in this regard,
and the LGPL is the next strongest in some respects.

I personally favor the MIT/BSD/Python flavor because people won't need
lawyers to figure out how to work with your code.

-- Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
InfoNuovo
mailto:infonuovo at email.com