Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Russell Wallace rwallace at esatclear.ie
Mon May 22 22:51:01 EDT 2000

Paul Prescod wrote:
> The most honest arguments are "case sensitivity feels cleaner" and that
> it "is more popular with existing programmers."

It seems to me that the important argument in this context is "case
insensitivity will break millions of lines of existing code, and perhaps
split the user base if a significant number of existing users refuse to
switch".  I can see good arguments either way - overall it doesn't
strike me as a major issue - but I'm dubious about changing it at this
stage.

--
"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem."
Russell Wallace
mailto:rwallace at esatclear.ie
http://www.esatclear.ie/~rwallace