Irix 6.5, gcc 2.95.2, readline and control-C problem

George White gwhite at bodnext.bio.dfo.ca
Mon May 8 17:44:05 EDT 2000

On 6 May 2000, Harry George wrote:

> Is it strictly gcc 2.95.2?  I have Python 1.5.2 on IRIX 6.5 as n32, but built
> with SGI's cc.  Didn't have readline at the time, but was intending to
> recompile with it.  Is it readline itself or the compiler?  Anyone know?
>
> "Andrew Dalke" <dalke at acm.org> writes:
>
> > George White asked:
> > >Does anyone have readline working for n32 python on Irix 6.5?
> >

> > I never did get that fixed.  It only occurs for me when I ^C
> > during readline (as compared to when a Python program is running),
> > so I got into the habit of not doing that.
> >
> >                     Andrew

I tried building Python 1.6a2 using SGI's cc (7.3) and readline 4.1, and
also on a NeXT 3.3 using gcc 2.95.2. There is no problem with control-C on
either platform, so the problem appears to be related to gcc 2.95.2 on
SGI, and shouldn't be too hard to track down now that I can compare
debugging traces for working and broken versions.  Since the one known
area where gcc fails _reliably_ on Irix is padding in small structures,
I will snoop around a bit in the readline sources and examples to see if
I can construct a smaller example of the problem.

--
George White <gnw3 at acm.org>  tel: 902.426.8509
  Bedford Inst. of Oceanography, Nova Scotia, Canada.