No not a one time job.

rayleyva at my-deja.com rayleyva at my-deja.com
Wed May 10 14:19:46 EDT 2000

Trying to learn it to see how easy it would be to implement a full
system based on open source tools for an enterprise operation.  Right
now the main issues I seem to be running into ( Big Picture ) is
security, and database systems locking.

Other than that the main problem is my complete lack of experience with
Python, and Web devel. ( got some PHP, but not deep ... JavaScript but
that's client side )  Need exp. with the GET / POST, SSL, LDAP, NDS (
for user authentication ... we use one for login purposes, and would
like all web apps to automagically know who's using the system by using
LDAP authentication ).

All this is to compare it to a packaged system that would cost about
$250k in licensing first year, about $500k for 2 year implementation
support ( consultants ), and around $50k a year in licensing,
maintenance, etc ...

It's more a proof of concept than anything else.

Thanks
Ray

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.