Python vs. Ruby: threads - advice appreciated

Jean-Paul Smets jp at smets.com
Sun May 28 09:40:07 EDT 2000

Hi,

I am currently comparing Python and Ruby for a personal project which requires
many many threads.

I came across the "philosophers" example in Ruby and was surprised by its
compacity (see below).
I am wondering if it would be easy to write such an example in Python with as
few lines of code ?

Also, I tried to push Ruby to its limits (N=10000) and everything went OK (50 Mo
RAM was occupied though but this is only 5Ko per thread which I find quite
good). I wonder if it is possible to go that far with Python, either with native
threads or with microthreads in stackless Python ?

Finaly, I found that Ruby has a very nice and completely transparent interface
to Python libraries and extensions. So, I am wondering now what would be the
inconvenience for me of switching to Ruby for my project.

Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

JPS.

#
# The Dining Philosophers - thread example
#
require "thread"

srand
#srand