Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon May 22 20:33:57 EDT 2000

richard_chamberlain wrote:

> I find it bizarre that case sensitivity would be the greatest hurdle to
> CP4E.

Human beings are bizarre. That's why we must do user interface testing
and learn from the results.

> When we teach our children to write we teach them case sensitivity, I do not
> remember any governing body suggesting we should drop case sensitivity from
> written language in order that 'everyone' will therefore be able to write.

What governing body would do such a thing?

> I also cannot believe that this is a difficult lesson to learn.

It isn't a case of learnability. It's about repetitive mistakes. In my
XML classes, case sensitivity is the premier source of bugs which I, as
an expert, can diagnose very quickly but which my students spend minutes
or even hours trying to figure out.
Just how compassionate can a Republican get before he has to leave the
GOP and join Vegans for Global Justice? ... One moment, George W. Bush
is holding a get-to-know-you meeting with a bunch of gay Republicans.
The next he is holding forth on education or the environment ... It is
enough to make a red-blooded conservative choke on his spotted-owl
drumstick.     - April 29th, Economist