Java vs Python

Will Rose cwr at crash.cts.com
Sat May 27 18:51:39 EDT 2000

Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan at home.com> wrote:
[...]
: I started programming back in the 60s with 1401 Autocoder.  I moved to
: COBOL, and thought, "how wonderful!" because it was *so* much easier.

: I discovered unix and C in 1983, and was *overwhelmed* by the a)
: sensibility of unix; and b) the power and expressiveness of C.

: Are there any OSs written in COBOL?  I think not.

Burroughs did something very odd with COBOL at one point (and no, it
wasn't The Naked Lunch).  They didn't use it for OS internals, but
I think it was used for system software.  OTOH, the fact that that
(what ever it was) was the one attempt is probably significant.

Will
cwr at cts.com