"non-essential difficulty" - case enforcing?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Wed May 31 21:33:09 EDT 2000

Shae Erisson <shapr at uab.edu> wrote:
[snip]
> The only other way I can think of to get around the case problem and not
> get rid of case sensitivity is to have an IDE that's smart enough to
> figure out when a variable or name is being created versus when it's
> being modified and change the highlighting accordingly.

What about simply imitating the various shells around (I think there are
even Python shells that do this..I think even IDLE does this, partially),
and do name completion? If I type in some characters and they happen to
be the first characters of a name known to the system, it'll spell it
out completely (and of course provide a list in case of ambiguity).

If you get the case wrong in the first few letters, nothing will happen
(or the ambiguity detector will kick in and offer suggestions). If you
get the case right and it's unique, it'll just fill in the rest of
the word in the case spelling you want.

That way newbies can be taught about this feature and won't have as many
problems hopefully, and experienced programmers can do whatever they prefer.

Regards,

Martijn