Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

JB jimbag at kw.igs.net
Mon May 22 23:53:37 EDT 2000

I can't believe that this is even being discussed. Making Python
case-insensitive would be the worst thing that could happen to the
language in my opinion. I don't want the compiler to change x to X, I
don't want an environment that will change myvar to MyVar. If Guido
wants to make a language for newbies then he should do that and leave
Python as the maturing and 'real' programming language that it is. The
character 'x' is NOT the character 'X' to any machine and to most
humans. Why the hell would you want to pretend that that isn't the case?