XML to SQL or XML into Tables SomeHow

Thomas Weholt thomas at cintra.no
Thu May 25 07:11:32 EDT 2000

Hi,

I want to submit a special formattet xml, nothing more than xml based
on a specified DTD, to a module/script that "transforms" the xml data
to a valid SQL insert-statement.

Ex.

<xml-data>
	<database name="test">
			<row>
			    <field field_name="name" value="thomas">
		  	    <field field_name="sex" value="male">
			</row>
			<row>
			    <field field_name="name" value="bill">
		  	    <field field_name="sex" value="male">
			</row>
			<row>
			    <field field_name="name" value="jane">
		  	    <field field_name="sex" value="female">
			</row>
	</database>
</xml-data>

I want an output like :

# SQL-statements

use test;
insert into person
(name, sex)
values
("thomas", "male");

insert into person
(name, sex)
values
("bill", "male");

insert into person
(name, sex)
values
("jane", "female");

Perhaps the entries must have a specified type like
<field field_name="name" value="thomas" field_type="string"> etc.

For simple insertion statements this shouldn`t that hard to do, but
I`m having a hard time locating the stuff to do it.

I`ve looked at RAX, SAX, Pyxie etc. If somebody could give me a hint
on how to "transform" the example above I`d be happy to try and make a
more generic module out of it. I just need some help to get started.

Thomas