Newbie: Python suitability question

Chris Arai chris at araidesign.com
Tue May 16 21:03:04 EDT 2000

Hi,

I am contemplating using python to act as a graphical interface to an
embedded application that will be cross compiled for a 68K micro
controller.  The reasons I (think) I want to use python are:

1. I need to create a simulator for the target embedded system for rapid
development.
2. I'm in a hurry and lazy and want to create a simple GUI quickly.
3. I can easily (??) port from Linux to Windows.

The outline is that I need to simulate the graphical display that the
embedded app will have and to feed the app keypad inputs via mouse
clicks.  So the embedded app is running and creating a memory map for
its graphical display, which python then redraws for the desktop, while
mouse clicks to the buttons are passed to the embedded app.  The
questions I am having difficulty answering are:

1. Do I embed python in my app? Or...
2. Do I extend python with my app?
3. Will I need to use threads to do this?

My guess is that I will have to embed python.  Thus my app will start,
call python to create the GUI, and then the app continues it's
processing in a loop which on each cycle of the loop updates python with
the new display info and also grabs inputs that were made to the python
GUI.  Is this possible?

AND last of all, is this an appropriate use of python, or is there a
better way?

Thanks in advance,

Chris