getting used/available memory

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri May 5 01:45:14 EDT 2000

Peter Schneider-Kamp <petersc at stud.ntnu.no> wrote:

>I seem to have some nice memory leaks in my modular
>arithmetic module. To find out where the memory goes
>I'd like to find out how much memory is occupied/free
>at a given time. I did not find anything in sys or os
>on first sight. Where do I have to go?

I didn't notice before replying that your first posting on this topic was
part of a different thread.  I hope you read my explanation there.  The
problem is that your algorithm creates a two-dimensional array with
100,000,000 elements, requiring at LEAST 400MB of RAM.  You need a
different algorithm.

>Would using JPython fix this problem?

No.  Only a different algorithm will solve this problem.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.