(gulp) newbie question - portablity of python

Benjamin Schollnick junkster at nospam.rochester.rr.com
Sun May 14 14:52:12 EDT 2000

On Sun, 14 May 3900 18:42:51, "Keygrass" <nospam at sorry.com> wrote:

> The Python implementation is portable: it runs on many brands of UNIX, on
> Windows, DOS, OS/2, Mac, Amiga... If your favorite system isn't listed here,
> it may still be supported, if there's a C compiler for it. Ask around on
> comp.lang.python -- or just try compiling Python yourself.

> So ... my question is this: Is this really too good to be true?  What I want
> to do it write the program on my  Win98se (at home) and then use that .exe
> or .bat file (or whatever extension it is) at work which uses unix.

No, it's quite true.

There are a few small differences, platform to platform, for example
Windows doesn't support symbolic links, so the routines that assist
with symbolic links under *nix either return a "false" value or are
not
implemented under a windows model.

But I've taken quite a few programs from my Windows development
box, and by just copying the source to the Macintosh, gotten it to
work
fine.

There are subtle differences across the supported platforms, but
they are usually in "OS specific" modules (i.e. Mac, Win32, POSIX,
etc)
which you specifically need to import to use.  So if you specifically
import those modules, you should already know that you will need
to add some "logic" to your program to support different os's.

		- Benjamin
          (Remove "NoSpam" to Email me)
Please feel free to copy any and or all of this sig.
A little something for spam bots:

root at localhost postmaster at localhost admin at localhost
abuse at localhost postmaster at 127.0.0.1

Chairman William Kennard: bkennard at fcc.gov
Commissioner Susan Ness: sness at fcc.gov
Commissioner Harold Furchtgott-Roth: hfurchtg at fcc.gov
Commissioner Michael Powell: mpowell at fcc.gov