Thread Question

Laurent POINTAL pointal at lure.u-psud.fr
Fri May 19 10:29:42 EDT 2000

On Thu, 18 May 2000 04:07:37 GMT, "Karl Lewin" <lewinke at home.com>
wrote:

>: Is there a way to "kill" a thread that is currently asleep.
>:
>: Example:
>:
>: thread t1 is currently executing "time.sleep(60)", is it possible to
>: kill/delete/destroy the thread object before it finishes sleeping?
>:
>: If this isn't clear, I can post a better example tomorrow.

Here is a SoftTimer class I just wrote to be able to interrupt a
sleeping thread. It is based on the lock waiting for an event with a
timeout. Example of use:
from softtimermod import SoftTimer
a=SoftTimer()
a.start(60)

# Then you have an a timer which will stop in 60 seconds, and
# when you wants you do:
a.wait()

# Note that you can wait with a timeout.

# In another thread, you can do:
a.interrupt()
# Then all threads waiting on a will get out with a
# TimerInterruptError exception. Or you can call:
a.stop()
# And all  threads waiting on a will get out normally.

Its recent code, normally tested but there may remain bugs...

A+

Laurent.

#!/bin/env python
"""Software timer management - generic tools.

File  : softtimermod.py