[Python-Dev] Re: No 1.6! (was Re: A REALLY COOL PYTHON FEATURE:)

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at python.org
Sat May 13 17:40:47 EDT 2000

    CT> If it came to the point where the string module had some extra
    CT> methods which operate on two lists of string perhaps, we would
    CT> have been totally lost, and enforcing some OO method to
    CT> support it would be completely off the road.

The new .join() method reads a bit better if you first name the
glue string:

space = ' '
name = space.join(['Barry', 'Aloisius', 'Warsaw'])

But yes, it does look odd when used like

' '.join(['Christian', 'Aloisius', 'Tismer'])

I still think it's nice not to have to import string "just" to get the
join functionality, but remember of course that string.join() isn't
going away, so you can still use this if you like it better.

Alternatively, there has been talk about moving join() into the
built-ins, but I'm not sure if the semantics of tha have been nailed
down.

-Barry