Copyright and License

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Tue May 9 10:28:30 EDT 2000

> > So I just slap a BSD license onv everything and hope for the best :)  I
> > think I'll look more into PD though, it sounds like it's not as dangerous
> > as I thought it was.
>
> There's no danger that you'll get ripped off in a serious way.  GNU is
> pushing a particular ideology for software, but short of that most everyone
> just wants to avoid getting sued.  So far, programmers have mostly avoided
> getting nailed for what in other engineering disciplines would almost
> certainly be judged criminal negligence, and we've enjoyed this charmed life
> regardless of license.  I stick stuff in the public domain peppered with a
> one-liner full of buzzwords like "no warranty", "as-is", "use at your own
> risk".  Does that give me legal protection?  Frankly, I'd be kinda sad if it
> did -- reciting that crap is more in the nature of a comforting social
> ritual that we tell each other keeps the wolves away <0.1 wink>.

Well, I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but frankly, what
makes me sad is that someone putting something in the public domain
even has to think about "legal protection". As in, "hey, this is
some free software I cooked, up, and you'd have to be a spineless
irresponsible idiot to blame me personally if something goes wrong
with your code because of it. DUH".

C/