hungarian notation is evil (was Re: Do I always have to write "self." ?)

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Thu May 4 08:33:58 EDT 2000

> >If your problems are solved by this kind of mindless busy work, you
> >have much bigger problems that any amount of hungarian notation will
> >ever fix.  I good primer on writing maintainable code is recommended.
> >Try _Programming_with_Dick_and_Jane_.
>
> This beautiful piece of artwork deserves no other comment from me.  I'll let
> the rest of the readership decide what type of person you really are.

Well, to be fair, I think his rant against hungarian notation was
more directed at thungarian itself notation than you personally.
His point is quite apt. Hungarian notation is beyond lame.

He could have done without the insulting tone, I suppose...

But really. Good grief. Micromanagement in variable naming is the
last thing the world needs. Indeed mind numbing. "long* iamaLP;"
Yeah, you're a long pointer. Like, dude! NO, DUH.

Gawd.

C/