BOM should be ignored by Python

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu May 4 00:38:23 EDT 2000

"Andrew MacIntyre" <andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au> wrote in message
news:Pine.OS2.3.95.1000503080812.374B-100000 at CENTRAL...

> I can see this happening on Win2K systems, but on Unix where the #! hack
> is extensively entrenched and unicode oblivious AFAIK (and likely to be
> so for some time), I'm wondering where that would leave script
> portability.

Wont this simply indicate the file is ASCII?

Note that editors etc do _not_ show you the BOM - so the Unix shell could
still easily support it - when it opens the file, no BOM==text,
otherwise==Unicode - first line after the BOM then is the directive.

Just-musing-ly,

Mark.